Friday, January 21, 2011

New Beginnings

Ahhh...an empty blog. Like a clean slate. A blank canvass. A fresh sheet of notebook paper.

I'm looking forward to posting thoughts, life events, and family news here instead of on Facebook. After much thought, I decided today to quit Facebook for good. I've taken "breaks" before, but I've always found my way back. The crazy thing about those breaks, though, was that I didn't miss FB one little bit. For me, it's a time-waster. My life before discovering FB was much more productive and organized than it is now. I'm an all-or-nothing gal when it comes to a lot of things. If I don't want to wash dishes or laundry, they can pile up higher than the Matterhorn. If I want to buy a new pair of shoes, I'll shop all day until I find just the right ones. So if I wanted to catch up on my FB peeps, I'd spend all day doing that instead of things that really should have been higher on the list - cooking dinner, cleaning house, spending time w/ Jake, spending time w/ God, etc.

I'm also tired of having "virtual" friends and relationships. I want real ones that actually laugh out loud instead of LOL-ing and give real hugs, not ((((...)))). I'd rather chat with someone's face, not their user name. And I think FB takes a lot of the effort out of relationships. Instead of checking in on someone and finding out how they're doing, we FB stalk. It's very one-sided. Boring. I prefer conversations. And did you ever notice how little you have to talk about when you do meet up with friends in person? Every other sentence ends up being, "Oh yeah, I read that on your FB!" Okayyyy...? So now what do we talk about? I miss the mystery of conversation!

Lastly, I've determined there's way too much drama on FB. For some reason, certain people feel FB is the place to boldly say things they would never say otherwise. Criticize (or chastise or defriend) a sensitive soul who would fall to pieces if that happened in person (not just referring to myself here...honest). It's unfortunate because FB can be such a great communication tool when used in a positive way. But when you use it as a stealth form of condescension or criticism or mockery, it quickly becomes a source of negativity. I've seen this recently amongst family members and I'm of the opinion that it has torn some relationships even further apart rather than bringing them closer together. This should not be, and I no longer want to be a part of it.

So this will be the place where I post "status updates." It's as much for me as it is for my readers. I've missed chronicling (sp?) our family's happenings, and my scrapbooking has fallen by the wayside, so this is my way of recording funny things Jake says, family vacations, and life in general until my scrapping resurfaces. Maybe one of these days I'll have a large enough collection to publish it in book form. Did you know you could do that? Pretty cool!

Hope you'll stop by every once in a while to see what we're up to. If you do, leave a comment with your email address or send me an email with your phone number so I can check in with you and see how you're doing.

Adios, Facebook! My world really was a better place without you, and I'm looking forward to getting back to that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get it!! Love you girl even thougt we are so far away and never really talk. :o).

Mary T said...

Saw your blog. I really miss reading your blog; so frankly, I'm glad you are writing again. It is definitely one of your many gifts. Speaking of talking, I tried to call the other day. I know you've been busy with Jake's recovery. Call when you get a chance, and we'll catch up. Miss talking to you.
Love ya! Jimmy sends his love too!!

Melinda928 said...

I agree with Aunt Mary. I LOVE to read your entries on your blog. You could write a book anytime you wanted. I've read some books that aren't as well written as what you write. I think you could write for any audience, but I think you would write fabulous children's books. Jake could give you enough material for books about a little boy. Think about it!

I watched the movie about Mark Zuckerberg the other day, and he made me want to quit FB. I will after I get all of my friends and family's e-mail addresses transferred.

FB has been good for one thing-helping me to find old friends like Cheryl, her sister, Susan, and some friends from high school and Clarke, the junior college I went to. We have been able to chat, but like you said, we can send each other e-mails or call each other to catch up.

Thank you, again, for forming a new blog!

jamie said...

Hi Jenn,

This blog and your expressive words are so moving and truly inspirational. I agree with everything you said about facebook, and I am glad to have connected with you after all the years since high school. I know I may be in Fort Worth, but I am hear anytime you want to talk. jamielund77@yahoo.com 469-693-5398. I hope Jake feels better soon and take care of your family and yourself :)God Bless.

Jamie (Avina)

allie-mac-fallie said...

So happy you are blogging again :) I have missed you here! hah

The Kelsos said...

Mrs. Jenn!!! So FUN to find your blog!! Julie told me you were blogging so I wanted to check it out! CUTE blog! I blog too, but I made it private when Grayer was born. Love to add you as a reader if your interested. See you on Thursday! Grayer says, "Hi!"